What is it?
Respirator physicals ensure employees who are exposed to respirable toxins are properly protected and help employers make informed decisions about which employees can use respirators under specific environmental conditions and physical demands.
A respirator medical evaluation can help detect if wearing a respirator will limit or interfere with breathing, vision, communication or use of other required equipment.
Who and how often:
Employers must provide respiratory protection to their employees when such equipment is necessary to protect the health of the employee against breathing airborne containments.
Before wearing a respirator, workers must first be medically evaluated by a Physician or Licensed Health Care Provider (PLHCP). Respirator medical evaluations are required every one to two years, depending on the respirator type, job type, the employee’s health status, environmental conditions, and other regulatory requirements.
At CNS OccMed, we help ensure that companies remain in compliance with the to the OSHA respiratory protection standard, OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134.
What do we do?
How we perform service and the steps
Our Occupational Medicine Team follows a specific process for every employee that is tested, including a respirator fit test
- The respirator type and weight to be used
- Respirator use- duration and frequency
- Expected work effort
- Expected temperature and humidity conditions
- Other required personal protective equipment (PPE) to be used in conjunction with the respirator
*CNS OccMed will provide this form to the employer ahead of time for completion
- This will be reviewed by a PLHCP
- When required by the PLHCP, additional follow-up testing may include-
- A medical exam by the PLCHP
- Pulmonary Function Test (PFT)
- Chest X-Ray
- Blood draw
- Tuberculosis (TB) test
- Urine sample
*These services can be provided by the CNS OccMed Team and most can be performed on the same day of the screening
- This will include any limitations on respirator use, including whether or not the employee is medically able to use the respirator
- If an employee is not cleared for respirator use, or we become aware of potential limitations associated with a certain type of respirator, the PLHCP may request additional medical information or recommend an alternative type of respirator
- OSHA requires a respirator medical evaluation be done before the initial respirator fit test
- The respirator medical evaluation and respirator fit test must be completed before respirator use on the job
Respirator Fit Testing
The mobile medical unit is deployed for this service at a worksite.
Employees will be comfortably interviewed, screened and tested in the exam rooms within the mobile unit by a PLHCP, trained nurses, medical assistants, spirometry and hearing conservation technicians.
All testing that may be required is available within the mobile unit.
Employees and employers will receive a medical clearance determination or written medical opinion at the time of their physical.
Employees will be back to work within 1-1 ½ hours.
Develop a Medical Strategy
Our Occupational Medicine Team will develop a custom plan for your company. You may need a combination of services like physicals, COVID-19 testing, and drug testing, and you may also need these services performed on-site.
Contact our medical team to Develop your custom plan.
We offer many different COVID-19 related services, including pre-shift and pre-employment screenings, rapid antigen tests, PCR tests, and antibody testing. Our medical staff is among the most professional and knowledgeable in the industry.